TAR Global Placement Consulting

Visitor Visa


Unless you're a citizen of a "visa exempt" country, you will need a temporary visitor's visa to visit your family or friends in the country, to spend a vacation or to enter the country for business purposes. This type of visa is often known as TRV (Temporary Resident Visa).

Although each migration case, even if it is temporary, is different depending upon the specific situation, purpose of visit, financial status and health status, below mentioned are the basic requirements that almost every visiting applicant needs to fulfill:

  • A country resident card and a passport
  • A letter of invitation from the person inviting you to come to Canada
  • Evidence that you will stay in the country only on a temporary basis
  • Evidence of having sufficient funds for your visit to Canada
  • Your ties to your home country

These are the basic documents that you will require to apply for a Canadian visitor's visa. You may need more documents, depending upon your specific situation.

Additionally, you must

  • Not be charged with a serious offense
  • Agree that you will leave the country at the end of your stay or before your visa expires
  • Prove that you do not intend to study or work in Canada
  • Undergo a complete medical examination

Here are a few important points that a potential visitor to Canada must know beforehand. A temporary visitor's visa

  • Is not offered on arrival in Canada. Visitors must obtain it before departing from their home country.
  • Doesn't allow applicants to study or work or undertake any profession in the country
  • Offers them the opportunity to explore Canadian landscape and tourist destinations
Conditions of a visa

  • There are two types: a single-entry visa and a multiple-entry visa. Both are valid for a fixed period and cannot be used after they expire.
  • A multiple-entry visa allows visitors to come and go from Canada, usually for six months at a time, without having to reapply. It is valid for up to 10 years, or one month before your passport expires, whichever comes first. You must arrive in Canada on or before the expiry date on your visa.
  • A single-entry visa allows you to come to Canada only once. After you leave Canada, excluding travel to the United States and St. Pierre and Miquelon, you will need a new visa to travel back to Canada.

New entry requirement

Visa-exempt foreign nationals need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travelers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.

Generally, a visitor's visa is valid for six months and you can stay in the country for this duration without any problem. However, if you wish to extend your stay, you will need to apply to get a 'visitor status' before the expiry of your current visitor status. 

If you have already applied for an extension but your visa expires while waiting for response on your application, you are given an 'implied status' until the final decision on your request is taken.

A 'restoration of status' appeal can be made within the 90 days if your application of visa extension is refused.