TAR Global Placement Consulting

Requirements for Studying in Canada

A Canadian study permit gives you the permission to reside in Canada, for a temporary period if you wish to enroll yourself in any of the educational institutes in the country. How long you may stay in Canada depends upon the duration of the course that you have taken or intend to take.

Study permits are temporary visas, which means you will not be able to stay after your course is concluded until you have made a fresh application to extend your stay, giving a valid reason for the same.

Eligibility Requirements

In order to be eligible for the Canadian study permits, you must:

  • Produce the letter of acceptance from an educational institution in Canada
  • Prove that you have sufficient funds for paying tuition fees and supporting yourself for the time you stay in the country
  • Satisfy the interviewing immigration officer that you intend to visit Canada to study and will leave the country at the end of the study course
  • Have no criminal records
  • Be in good health and undergo a medical check
  • Not be a risk to the security of Canada in any way
  • Produce enough evidences to show your ties with your home country
  • Undergo police and background checks



Once your application is approved, you are entitled to:
  • Study in the country
  • Explore Canadian landscapes
  • Take 20 hours per week employment throughout the course duration to earn money towards miscellaneous expenses
  • Apply for post-graduation work visa, which allows you to remain in the country for up to three years
  • Apply for permanent residence in Canada

In addition, your spouse is also eligible to work temporarily in Canada.

A study permit is not required when you:
  • Take a language (English or French) training course in the country for up to three months
  • Are the spouse or dependent child in an application
  • Are a diplomat or a consular officer
  • Are a representative of a foreign country
  • Are a representative of the United Nations
  • Are a member of any governmental organization of which Canada is a member

To be eligible to study in Canada:

  • You must have been accepted by an accredited school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada.
  • You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
                                -- tuition fees;
                                -- living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada; and
                                -- return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.

  • You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.
  • You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
  • You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.

The spouses or common-law partners of foreign students are eligible for a work permit for the same duration as the study permit issued.

Upon graduation, a foreign student may apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. Under this program, the work permit may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years.