TAR Global Placement Consulting

Children and Dependents

The objective of the Family Class of immigration is to reunite close family members in Canada.

Through the Family Class, Canadian citizens and permanent residents may sponsor their dependent children, parents and grandparents, spouse, common-law, and conjugal partners.

The Government of Canada has a strong commitment to keeping families together whenever possible. Because of this, processing of Family Class applications is a high priority at Canadian Visa Offices.

Under most circumstances, individuals coming to Canada as temporary foreign workers or permanent residents have the right to bring their dependents, including any and all dependent children, to Canada with them.

However, circumstances arise when this is not possible at the time of immigration. For Canadian citizens and permanent residents with dependent children abroad, the government has created a special program to facilitate their loved ones' entry into Canada.

The Dependent Child Sponsorship Program

Dependent children, both natural and adopted, may be sponsored to live with their parent(s) as permanent residents in Canada. The child sponsorship program is a subsection of the Family Class of immigration.

In order to be eligible for this program, both the Canadian citizen or permanent resident (also called the 'sponsor') and their children abroad (the 'sponsored person') must be approved by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) in order for the sponsored person to receive a visa.
To receive a visa through this immigration program, the sponsor and the sponsored person will be required to prove their relationship to one another. Individuals whose adoption proceedings are in the final phases of processing may begin sponsoring their child before the adoption has been finalized. Be sure to read the specific requirements for the program, as well as some additional general requirements for Canadian sponsorship.

Dependent Child/Children Visa Requirements

If you're sponsoring your or your partner's dependent children, you must:

  • Prove that the children you are sponsoring are financially dependent on you

  • Agree to provide for your dependent children for a period of ten years or until they turn 25years, whichever comes first

  • Show that your child is enrolled in continuous and fulltime study course at accredited educational institutes if he or she is 22 years old and/or has a spouse or a common-law partner

  • Agree to provide for your child who is over 22 years of age for a period of three years

Dependent Child/Children Visa Entitlements

Once dependent child/children visa is granted to, such dependents are entitled to:

  • Get permanent residence under family class program

  • Live, study and work in Canada for an indefinite period

  • Access government subsidized education facilities

  • Seek assistance for finding employment

  • Attend language training programs

  • Participate in Retirement Plans, Guaranteed Income Supplement, Old Age Security, Pension Plans etc.